Home Forums HEUER stopwatch information requests S.A.V.I.C. Heuer Hour decimal

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

S.A.V.I.C. Heuer Hour decimal

• Author
    max
    Participant

Hello,

I am posting the pictures of the watch that I emailed you about on August 8th. Thank you very much for the information you already provided me.

I also just discovered something terrible when I took the watch out to look at it again: it does not work anymore. A few months ago it worked flawlessly, the slider started and stopped the timer, and pushing the crown reset it. Now, when I start the timer the only thing happening is a faint spring-like noise from the watch.

I fear I might have damaged it by keeping it wound up while storing it for months without using it, is this a possibility?

Best regards,

Max

Dear Max,

Thanks for your message.

It’s an hour decimal stopwatch. It means time is divided into multipe of 10 (here 1/10000 of hour). This kind of stopwatch is mainly used in industry to time process executions (see here and here).

The reference is close to the ref. 924 but the flyback pusher is replaced by a lateral slider. Can not find the exact model but it happens sometimes  a “S” is added to a reference when, the initial command is replaced by a slider. So (it’s a supposition), reference of your timer could be ref. 924 S.

S.A.V.I.C is the official HEUER device importer for the french market in the 20th century. Because of a french law label “fab suisse” had to be printed on the dial (more information about it here).

Looking at the case and dial, it seems it is manufactured between the late 40’s and the early 60’s (before 1964 for sure). Crown is quite unusual for this class of HEUER stopwatch making yours pretty particular.

Really sorry your timer is out of order. That’s right it’s recommended not to keep a mecanical stopwatch fully wounded while it’s not used for a long time. But can not say if it’s the only reason it does not work. Will ask opinion of a watchmaker.

Best regards

max
    Participant

Hello,

thank you so much for the information, this all makes sense! It belonged to my grandfather, who owned a factory producing clothing. He lived (sadly he passed away, that’s why I inherited it) in Luxembourg, like I do, so it makes sense he would have a watch bought in France, or even sold in Luxembourg from the french market.

He probably used it to time the duration that his employees needed to produce an article, so he could give appropriate estimates to his clients on how much clothes he would be able to deliver per week/month.

I managed to get the watch working again by the way, the crown was wound up to the maximum, but there was a little room for turning it further before feeling resistance. While keeping it in that position and starting the timer, it worked again!

For future reference, since I intend to keep this watch as a reminder to my grandfather, should I leave it completely unwound if I store it for months? Or should I take it out once a week or every two weeks , wind it up a bit and let it run for 30 mins for example?

I would be really devastated if I ended up breaking it by not giving it the care it needs.

Once again, thank you so much for your help!

Best regards,

Max

Dear Max,

Thanks for your message. Two watchmakers answer back, having the stopwach wounded and not running for few months should not  making it  not working at all. To answer to your question, it’s better to unwound it before storing it to a long time. You can eventually run it from time to time.

Your grandfather’s stopwatch probably needs a general service care by a professional watchmaker.

Best regards

max
    Participant

Thank you  for the  reply. I don’t know where you are from, so maybe you don’t have any watchmaker contacts that you trust will give it a good general service in my area. I am living in Luxembourg, and I would be willing to cross the border into France, Belgium and Germany if you happen to know reliable watchmakers there?

I think it is quite difficult to find a watchmaker that can service such an old watch correctly, or am I mistaken?

Best regards,

Max

Dear Max,

Thanks for your answer. I’m looking if a trustable watckmaker in my contact can service your stopwatch.

Give you an answer as soon as possible.

Best regards.

Dear Max,

A contact of a trustable watchmaker was sent to you on your email. Could you confirm you get it ? (it was on the 5th)

Best regards.

max
    Participant

Hello,

Yes thank you, I received the contact that is about 1 hour drivr from my location. Thank you very much for all of your help! I am very grateful.

Best regards,

Max

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.